Statement on Systemic Racism and Gender Bias
We Hold These to be True:
- Systemic racism and gender bias are realities in our culture.
- Only through constant diligence can we hope to mitigate the damage these biases perpetuate within our organization, and potentially be a voice for lasting, positive change.
- Constant diligence means we are all accountable to listen to voices from those whose perspective may not align with our experience. We understand that these incomplete perspectives are “blind spots.”
- We recognize we have many blind spots, and value the perspectives of those who generously seek to open our eyes to them.
- Holding space so that the voices that seek to help us improve may rise above the noise of the day-to-day status quo of inequity.
- Taking necessary action to be outside of the pattern of systemic racism and gender bias.
- Engage with other organizations in the constant struggle to reduce systemic racism and gender bias.
In Particular, we hold the Following as Truth:
Action (in words, and other choices) is the only way to be a force for positive change. Silent disapproval without action is, in fact, demonstrable action to maintain and support a status quo of systemic racism and gender bias, to which we are opposed.